Fire up the BBQ – it’s officially summer!
- 3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup oats, blended into flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- Bring the lentils and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer until the lentils are fully softened
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the spinach, garlic, black pepper to taste and cumin and stir until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach mixture, breadcrumbs, walnuts and a pinch of salt to the lentils and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. (optional but recommended!)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Form the mixture into six 4-inch patties and spray with cooking spray on each side. Grill until nice grill marks form, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place the patties in the buns, top as desired, and serve.
Macros: P 21g – C 15g – F 2g